There’s so much I love about The Legend of Korra’s portrayal of its older ladies.
1. I love that their hair is grey.
I have nothing against older women who dye their hair. If that’s what you want to do, that’s your choice. But it shouldn’t be the only choice. In media grey hair for a woman simply isn’t accepted. The ladies in Korra rock it hard.
2. I love that Lin & Suyin’s story line isn’t defined by their relationship with a man/men.
This is an issue with most lady characters, but it’s particularly rampant with older women. Most older women on TV are the (male) protagonist’s mom, not the protagonist.
3. I love that they aren’t defined by their age.
When Korra yells at Lin for being awful to Opal, she calls her bitter and lonely. But she doesn’t call her old. Thank you writers.
Old men get to be generals and wizards and kings. What do old women get? Most of the time: nothing. But not on Korra.
These are some awesome older ladies.
a few quick reminders:
- that thing you did that was kind of embarrassing and weird, everyone else forgot about that already
- you look fine today, if you can’t notice something on your face standing 6 feet from a mirror then nobody else will either
- if something is out of your control, do not let yourself or anyone else expect you to deal with it alone
- social lives can go through cycles sometimes, if you feel like your friends are all ignoring you for no reason they’re probably just busy with other things
- if you can’t stop thinking about someone or something, find something mentally occupying to do like reading a book or watching a movie. it won’t solve any serious problems but you will feel better
- nothing will always be easy, if you’re trying then that should be good enough for anyone. if it’s not then you’re talking with the wrong people
- never underestimate the importance of going to bed, if it’s dark outside and you feel bad just go to bed and deal with your problems the next day
— Laverne Cox (via angerisbeautiful-79)
cuz we KNOW there’s gonna be waaaay too many people patting themselves on the back saying “ok the trans issue is solved we did a good job” because laverne cox got nominated like NOOOOO there are still are still trans people that need to be supported listened to loved and defended. there is still a culture of transphobia and transmisogyny that needs to be dismantled. work to be done. (via wocinsolidarity)