HOW TO RESPOND TO FAT SHAMING COMMENTS:
*Do you need to eat that?
- I thought that you were an accountant, are you also a dietitian?
- Yes, because dealing with your rudeness is depleting my glycogen
stores at an alarming rate
- If I want to talk to the food police, I’ll call 911
- Thanks for trying to give me your insecurities, but I was really
hoping to get a Wii for Christmas this year
- No, but using my fork to eat helps to keep me from stabbing you
*What are you doing about your weight?
- Moving it through space with grace, power, and joy
- Dressing it in fabulous clothes and taking it out on the town
- My weight is fine, what are you doing about your rudeness?
*Don’t you know that being fat is unhealthy?
- Don’t you know what is and is not your business?
- No, I don’t and you don’t either. It looks like you need to do some
*This Health at Every Size stuff is just fat people justifying people being fat.
- My fat body is amazing and requires no justification. Your rudeness
on the other hand is inexcusable.
- Health at Every Size says that healthy habits are the best chance to
improve our odds for a healthy body. Are you suggesting that we
should tell people to practice unhealthy habits?
- It sounds to me like you are just trying to justify your fat bashing.
*You’re pretty for a fat girl.
- Why on Earth would you think I care what you think about me?
- That’s weird, I was just thinking that you are attractive for a rude
*You’re not fat!
- Holy crap, we need to go to the Optometrist right freaking now!
- I am absolutely fat, and there’s nothing wrong with that. I think
what you might mean is that I don’t fit your stereotypes of fat – in
which case the problem is with the stereotypes and not my size.
- You know, when you say that I’m not fat, when I obviously am, it
makes it sound like you think there’s something wrong with the body
that I live in all the time, there isn’t.
Written by: Ragen Chastain
Picture from: Tatiana Mercedes